Monday, June 11, 2012



WaterFire

It's been years since Toby and I have been to Providence's WaterFire -- an extravaganza of fire in cauldrons on the Providence River.  Years ago it was mysterious and magnificent,


and it still is, but it's changed too.  First of all, Toby looks a little weird here because I didn't know how to make my new I-Phone have a flash.  The fires are in the background.  The music still comes out from under the bridges but it's a more eclectic and modern mix, not the enchanting arias and haunting medieval pieces. It made me fall in love with opera way back then, hearing those powerful voices wafting over the river. The  boats that carry the firewood up and down the river are still  painted black and the crews manning them are dressed in all black but there's not the enveloping smell of wood smoke in the air as there used to be.  Maybe we're just getting old and harder to please, but I know it's changed:  more tourist boats on the river including two gondolas and more concession stands around.  



But what did catch my eye, stirred my soul, were these notes under lanterns along the river bank:  "Doug, wish things were the same as 11 years ago!" signed Sarah.



And  "I hope you feel better Liam," from Douglas and Andrew.

I might go back just to catch more of those messages--very genuine.

1 comment: